Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Diligence

Our guest post today is by Tyler Horton, who previously wrote "Vowels or Vehicles". He continues to share with us his journey of balancing family life and school. He is in the first year of the MA (NT Studies) program.  Tyler lives in rural New Brunswick, just outside of Fredericton, where he has been an Assistant Pastor for 10 years. 

I remember looking up and realising that the festive presence of our poinsettia at one end of the family piano was being intruded upon by a set of three small pumpkins from Halloween that were nestled awkwardly at the other.  The date was December 21st.  As a widowed father of three kids, seven and under, if I don’t do it, it doesn’t get
done.  So, the blame for the lack of ‘Christmas’ in our house (and the lingering presence of Halloween...I should add) rested squarely on my shoulders. 

Of course I had big plans.  I was going to finish assignments and write a final exam early in the week and then after a day to rest and transition I would devote myself to creating atmosphere and memories with my kids.  Cards were going to be signed illegibly and mailed.  We were going to make cookies and caramel popcorn.  I was going to mull cider so we could drink in the spiced aroma as much as the liquid itself.  Decorations were going to be chosen and placed according to the preferences of my trio of little people.  We were even going to make popcorn chains for our real tree (because an artificial tree is about as authentic as low fat eggnog)!  But now it was four days before the big day and we had no baking, no atmosphere and only a wreath, an old ceramic plug-in tree and the aforementioned poinsettia to tell us that we were that close. 

And it was all my fault.  Now I will freely admit that is not those ‘things’ that make Christmas worthwhile.  But my point is that I realised I had robbed my kids of things that do matter by not getting my classes done when I should have.  It isn’t that we had to have caramel popcorn, but they should have had that time of popping and stirring and eating it as a family.  We didn’t need to smell the cider, but they should have had the opportunity to have it linger for years to come and waft through their memory of childhood Christmases. 

As I mentioned back in the first post I did for this blog (Vowels and Vehicles), choosing to begin this degree involves me choosing to take some time and some energy that was available for my kids away from them.  Because of the value I place on the tools I am gaining, I am entirely willing to do that.  But through a lack of diligence I took too much.  Our schooling is valuable, but not so much so that we can let it intrude improperly into our other responsibilities.  In many ways I am studying for my kids, so that I can be part of a church that can read the Bible well.  But I must also study diligently and with discipline so that I can give them the rest of what they will need from me over these next months as well. 

“The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.”  (Proverbs 13:4, ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment