Friday, May 2, 2014

A Graduate's Reflection

Today's student guest post is by Helena Allan. She graduated with her MA in 2012 and graduates with her MDiv this month from ADC.

I am reactionary, yes. I am easily hurt, yes. I respond on emotion, yes. As a result, I have made many poor decisions and choices in my life. They are decisions I accept and in many cases, stand by; I accept responsibility for any fall out caused by my life choices. I know I haven't always handled situations in the best of ways, and I accept that.


However, with every poor choice I've made in life - I have made millions of good choices, choices I embrace proudly. One of the best decisions I made in my life was to take a year off Knox College and move to Nova Scotia and study at ADC. One year turned into three, one degree turned into two. Through this decision I worked with an incredible MA Thesis supervisor who inspired and encouraged me daily. I have completed 3 Units of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) and found a passion for improving our mental health system. I made amazing friends and support systems at ADC who have shown me how to follow God's will. I got a job at Chapters and inherited a beautiful and precious family. I started my professional ministry at Stevens Road United Baptist Church - a place that I know I had to leave, but will always and forever have in my heart. I was able to organize and participate in an amazing Mission Week, where I heard a call from God to go deeper in my faith. I was sent to Vancouver to enhance my ministry and through this got to know a woman better, who has since become a deep point of spiritual inspiration and encouragement.

I am leaving this beautiful province in 6 weeks; everything is in place. I am leaving my friends, my jobs, my faith family, my school, my life and taking a leap of faith... and while I don't know what the future looks like, what I do know, sitting here a week away from graduation, is I am leaving Acadia Divinity College a much better person than when I arrived. I am leaving Stevens Road United Baptist Church a better minister and person. I am leaving Chapters Dartmouth a more patient and appreciative person. I am leaving a life that has prepared me for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment